In December 1721 nineteen “souls” organized themselves in Cohasset as the second Parish of Hingham after winning the General Court approval. The parish slowly grew, carefully tended to by the care of its first minister, Nehemiah Hobart, grandson of Peter Hobart, the first minister of the Parish of Hingham. When Nehemiah Hobart died, he was succeeded by John Brown, a minister of cheerful disposition and an outspoken defender of intellectual freedom in 1746. One year later construction began on Cohasset’s second Meeting House. This is the building that stands today. It is the fourth-oldest continuously used Unitarian Universalist church in New England. Click here to look at some of our historical documents.
Located on the Green, the Meetinghouse was where isolated farmers came for news, and for support. When news of the battles of Concord and Lexington reached Cohasset in 1775, the entire town gathered in the Meeting house to plan their response.
The historic beauty of the architecture, especially the windows, adds an elegance of grace and light to our time of worship.
Click below to watch a video about the history of Unitarian Universalism