About First Parish in Cohasset
First Parish in Cohasset is a historic Unitarian Universalist congregation, south of Boston in the scenic town of Cohasset. We are a small town congregation located in the heart of the Common. First Parish in Cohasset strives to be welcoming to people of all races, genders, sexual orientations, abilities, and stages of life. We are committed to justice and compassion, not just on Sundays, but every day. Our growing congregation is looking forward to welcoming a new Director of Religious Education into the fold. To learn more about us, please visit: www.firstparishcohasset.org
Job Description: Director of Religious Education (DRE)
Reports to: Minister
Status: 20 hours per week for 46 weeks per year
Salary: $18,400 – 21,600 salary and benefits consistent with UUA Fair Compensation Guidelines
Anticipated Start Date: August 19th 2019
The Director of Religious Education will provide dynamic leadership and facilitate the educational experiences of children and youth; collaborate on multigenerational worship experiences, creating opportunities for building relationships via intergenerational experiences.
- Create and communicate a vision for Unitarian Universalist (UU) religious education in partnership with the minister and the RE committee.
- Develop and train a network of facilitators to participate and lead Sunday morning religious education small group experiences.
- Plan and coordinate (and at times facilitate) yearly religious education curriculum for children and youth for use on Sunday mornings.
- Attend monthly RE committee meetings, working closely with Chair to establish meeting agendas. Work with the committee to articulate the philosophy, curricula, special events, budget, volunteer recruitment and program evaluation.
- Create and maintain a functional and aesthetically pleasing space for children’s programs, stocked with material appropriate for spiritual expression, ritual, reflection and creativity.
- Assist the minister in creating intergenerational worship experiences and help lead worship experiences at the request of the minister, including “Time for All Ages” content and special holiday services.
- Maintain a database of First Parish in Cohasset (FPC) religious education forms, safe congregation policies, religious education budget, prospectus, annual registration, and weekly attendance.
- Communicate with parents and the community by weekly “e-blast”, monthly e-newsletter columns and social media as appropriate.
- Ensure that all families and children are registered for the religious education program. This includes working with others to welcome and orient new families and visitors, promoting events related to the program and registration.
- Participate in church meetings such as: new member orientations, staff meetings, one-on-one supervision, and board meetings by request.
- Coordinate with neighboring UU DRE’s and Youth Advisors to maintain FPC’s connection and involvement with the collaborative Youth Group and Our Whole Lives (OWL) programs.
- Supervise paid religious education staff.
- Submit annual report each spring.
- Develop and implement specialized UU programs such as Coming of Age, Our Whole Lives, Neighboring Faiths and Social Justice programs.
- Coordinate childcare for babies/toddlers for Sundays and special events.
- Attend UUA trainings as funding allows.
- Network with colleagues to
develop resources for the program.
Participate in monthly cluster meetings as able.
- Coordinate with the Music Director to integrate music with intergenerational programming.
Two years experience teaching and/or coordinating an instructional program, preferably in a congregational setting.
Demonstrated leadership and small group facilitation skills.
Demonstrated interpersonal skills with adults and youth.
Comfortable speaking in public.
Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
Some higher education in teaching or related degree or Religious Education Certifications of the UUA
Familiarity with Unitarian Universalism and its Principles and Purposes.
Typical Working Conditions
Church building, indoors and outdoors, and youth space includes stairs.
Phone and computer provided and a private office.
Need to be able to carry materials up stairs, and across the street. Need to be present to children.
Interpersonal Skills: Establishes good working relationships with all others who are relevant to the completion of the work; works well with people throughout the congregation; builds appropriate rapport; considers the impact of his/her actions on others; uses diplomacy and tact; is approachable; avoids communication triangles.
Mission Ownership: Demonstrates understanding and full support of the mission, vision, values, and beliefs of the congregation; demonstrates those values to others; consistently behaves in a manner congruent with the mission, vision, values and beliefs.
Time Management: Is able and willing to focus time on tasks that contribute to organizational goals; uses time effectively and efficiently; values time and respects the time of others.
Teaching: Designs effective lesson plans and facilitates learning experiences in both small and large group settings; selects teaching topics that are relevant, provocative and contribute to a deeper understanding of UU principles, scripture, theology and spiritual practice; uses a variety of teaching topics and modalities to maintain interest and build connection.
Creativity and Innovation: Generates new ideas; makes new connections among existing ideas to create fresh approaches; takes acceptable risks in pursuit of innovation; learns from mistakes; has good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work.
How to Apply:
First Parish in Cohasset is committed to developing a diverse and talented staff team. People with disabilities, people of color, indigenous people, Hispanic/Latin people, and LGBTQ+ candidates are encouraged to apply. If you are excited about this role, but unsure whether you meet 100% of the requirements, we encourage you to inquire or apply.
Please send resume and cover letter to Sandy/Andrea at: email@example.com